THIS IS A STATIC MIRROR OF USERSCRIPTS.ORG - LOGINS DO NOT WORK

Posts by Stephen Cronin

12 posts

Google Numbered Search Results : Endless request loop to Google when no search results

Okay, I've found a way that will work for all languages. New version 1.1 has been uploaded. Please let me know if you have any problems...

 

Google Numbered Search Results : Endless request loop to Google when no search results

Hi SimpleUser,

Sorry for the delay - I didn't see this until now.

I've worked out the problem. Because the new AJAX powered search doesn't have any results at the time the Greasemonkey script runs, this script can't work. Therefore, if there's no result set, it redirects to the old Google search, which does have results.

The problem comes when there is legitimately no result set (because they don't exist for the term). To stop the endless loop, I check for the term "did not match any documents" in the page.

I'm sure you can see the problem. It works fine for English language Google searches, but not for other languages. For example for this to work in French, I should be checking for the presence of "Aucun document ne correspond aux termes".

I can't really check for every language that Google has, so I'm going to reconsider the logic and see if there's another way of doing this (I think there is, but I need to think about it).

This is only a part time thing for me, but I should have a fix in the next few days to a week.

Cheers,
Stephen

 

Google Numbered Search Results : Endless request loop to Google when no search results

Hi Chris,

I can't replicate the problem. If you read this, could you please provide me with an example search term that causes the problem?

I tried searching for:

sakdfjsadkjk kjsadfhjksadhkfaskdjf

and got the following response from Google:

Your search - sakdfjsadkjk kjsadfhjksadhkfaskdjf - did not match any documents.

My initial search was using the new AJAX powered results, so the script redirected it to the old non AJAX equivalent, but it stopped there. It sounds like you were experiencing a redirect loop, but I can't seem to make this occur for me.

 

Google Numbered Search Results : Endless request loop to Google when no search results

Hi Chris,

Thanks for finding this problem and sorry about the delay in my noticing it! I'll have a look into this over the next couple of days.

Stephen

 

Multi-Column View of Google Search Results : Not work on search results from Google's home page

Actually, I may have come up with a solution. Will test it out with my script (not released yet) and if it works, I'll let you know how it works.

 

Multi-Column View of Google Search Results : Not work on search results from Google's home page

Hi, this problem is caused by Google's new AJAX search results, which are sometimes (and increasingly) used instead of the traditional search. I'm trying to work out how to get around it, but they're doing something really clever / weird. I can set a timeout to check for a DOM object to be present, but it's never present, even though you can see it in the generated source. I'm interested in the solution if someone more clever than me (and Google) can work it out.

 

Bing Numbered Search Results : Script no longer works (Now Fixed)

I've now updated the script so that it works with the new Bing code.

 

Bing Numbered Search Results : Script no longer works (Now Fixed)

Bing source code seems to have changed, so the script no longer works. I'll update asap.

 

Google Reader Print Button : Google Reader Update Breaks Script

Thanks for the quick fix Julien - I've removed the fix from my post and pointed people here.

 

Google Reader Print Button : Google Reader Update Breaks Script

Hi Julien (and anyone who's experiencing this problem).

I've worked out how to fix this problem (seems to work) and [posted the solution](http://www.scratch99.com/2008/12/google-reader-update-breaks-google-reader-print-button-script/) on my blog. However, I'd really like an official solution, as you'll understand how it works much better than I do. If you let me know when you release an official fix, I'll change my post to point to it.

Thanks for Google Reader Print Button - I can't live without it!

 

Google Reader Print Button : Google Reader Update Breaks Script

Hi Julien,

It seems that Google have updated Google Reader ([http://googlereader.blogspot.com/2008/12/square...](http://googlereader.blogspot.com/2008/12/square-is-new-round.html)).

As a result, the Print Buttons aren't appearing. Hope you can look into this soon, as I love this script!

 

Google Reader Print Button : Archived Comments

I've created a simple hack to this script to allow you to print as many full text items (in the Expanded View) as you like.

Full details of the problem and the hack can be found [here](http://www.scratch99.com/2007/10/google-reader-printing-full-text-for-all-items/)